Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Happy New Year

My New Year's Resolutions:

1.  I'd like to say I resolve to lose weight but the awful cold I had over Christmas took care of that.  Inadvertently being on the "14-Day Snotty Nose Diet" took away any sense of "resolution."  It was done and done with no resolve on my part. So, that's out. 
2.  So, I'll resolve to get more exercise, but the Dogs have taken any  "choice" out of that idea as well.  There's no arguing with them.  A walk is a walk.  End of discussion.
3.  I could give up smoking and drinking, but I did that years ago and anyway, isn't that supposed to be something you do for Lent?
4. Maybe I  could resolve to set enough time aside to read the stack of books that's piling up by my chair.  But before that happens, I've got to get through my Honey-Do list and right now that List is growing larger than the stack of books.  And since that involves repairing stuff, that will have to take precedence. Maybe next year.
5. I know, I will resolve to save more money.  No, wait.  This last windstorm resulted in a downdraft vortex that ripped whole swaths of shingles off the roof so a resolution to "save" money has now been transformed into, Pay for a New Roof, so that takes care of "saving" more money.  Can't get blood from turnips.
6.  Speaking of which, I will resolve not to plant any more turnips this year.  They're easy to grow but who eats the darned things?  Zucchini's bad enough, but at least you can make a very good curried soup with them, but turnips?  Any turnip soup always seems to include potatoes so you end up with a potato soup that tastes weirdly like broccoli.  Who needs that?
7.  I might be able to resolve to xerescape my non-existent lawn, but I started on that years ago and will continue, so I don't think "continuing" something can be considered a "resolution."
8. Or I could resolve to work on my memory.  I had a great article on how to improve one's memory but I can't seem to find it.  Where the heck did I put that thing?  Do any of you know?
9. And I can resolve to spend more time to smell the roses, but I've only got the one rose bush and it sorta takes care of itself so I end up spending my rose-smelling time trying to figure out what to do with the great Roger's Red Grapevine that's getting so big it's threatening to topple the fence and by the time I figure that out there's no time left to smell anything.
10.  So, I guess there's only one resolution left:  Go watch the extravagantly  improbable Rose Parade to see how the good people of Pasadena survived camping out on the streets overnight in record-setting freezing weather.

Hope you'll all have a Happy Day.

5 comments:

Sewertoons AKA Lynette Tornatzky said...

Hilarious!! Great column!! My list looks like yours only I didn't manage to inject any humor into it. And I have a cat. And the only vegetables I grow are the hundreds of pea plants that have sprouted up out the last load of bark chips a couple of months back. They are pretty good peas though. So I can put off weeding until they are done "pea-ing!" Silver lining!

Happy New Year!

Churadogs said...

Peas! I'm having a heck of a time getting the peas I planted to grow. The pea pods I planted earlier grew like weeds, but the English shell peas don't seem to like it in the yard for some reason. So, guess I'll go back to the peapods.

Next up, pruning the grapevines and figuring out what to do with the leaning fence. Sigh.

Sewertoons AKA Lynette Tornatzky said...

Good luck with the fence (and the peas)! We know a good fence guy if it comes to replacing it!

Churadogs said...

My neighbor and friend has elegantly solved the problem: Eight-foot galvanized pipe in cement footing with wire between them like a laundry line. It'll stabilize the old fence and serve as a kind of "arbor" to drape the canes over and tie the "arms" to. Eventually, will need a new fence, or at the least, fence posts, but am waiting for the laterals to be put in so I'll know how much will need to be replaced. Meantime, googled grape vine pruning and see that my last pruning pass was way too little so will do another, deeper cut. With hopes that that'll help get even more intense little grapes for that magical juice come fall.

Sewertoons AKA Lynette Tornatzky said...

Sounds like the perfect solution! Good luck with the grapes! Pruning is a difficult job to get it right!

We are waiting to fix our crumbling front fence until the septic tank is.....whatever we will decide to do with it. Not sure just where it is either, the County diagram had it in two locations. Not sure we can reroute all the rain gutters to send the water to the tank. It might just get filled with rocks or sand....